[Tweeters] Greater Scaup dearth

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 12:14:24 PDT 2009

Dear Tweeters,

So far in 2008, I have seen exactly one Greater Scaup in Skagit County. In the first quarter of 2007 and 2008, there were quite a few Greater Scaup to be found, a dozen here, a dozen there. In the same period during 2005 and 2006, I saw many flocks, although numbering only in the dozens at most. In January through March of 2004 and years before that, I would often see flocks of Greater Scaup numbering in the hundreds, especially at March Point.

I did notice some big flocks of this species elsewhere in the state this winter, but was wondering if other Tweeters have noticed a recent decline in Greater Scaup.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch   Near Lyman, Washington (Skagit County), USA   garybletsch at yahoo.com