[Tweeters] Anna's chick toilet-trained?

Trileigh Tucker tri at seattleu.edu
Thu Mar 19 09:22:03 PDT 2009

This morning as I was looking through the scope waiting for the mother
Anna's to return to the nest, I saw a fuzzy gray bobble come up above the
nest's rim. It looked fuzzier, and I wonder if perhaps its feathers are
beginning to fluff up.

Then a spurt of what looked like tan-colored spit arced over the nest's edge
from the gray bobble. Could this have been the nestling carefully defecating
outside its nest?

The mother has been removing small granules of what I assumed were scat from
the nest, but this looked different.

[I know we're not supposed to name wild young critters - but I couldn't
resist calling this one Suzanna, since it spends most of its time
"sous-Anna"....sorry.... :-) ]

Good birding,
Trileigh