[Tweeters] PLEA FOR YOUR INPUT: Ridgefield is considering cutting the Auto Tour Route by 40%

Will Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 12:22:51 PDT 2009

Hi Folks,

Ridgefield NWR (RNWR) is going to change, that much is certain.

How it changes may be impacted by Your opinions.

On March 14, 2009 I received some DISTURBING mail from Ridgefield NWR (titled: "Preliminary Management Alternatives for Ridgefield NWR, Planning Update #3, March 2009), which outlines four preliminary alternatives to future management of the Refuge, including two alternatives that would REDUCE the River “S” Unit Auto Route by nearly 40% (from 4.3 to 2.6 miles), and EXPAND hunting season and hunting areas. In my opinion, the AUTO ROUTE needs to be ENLARGED not cut in half.

Currently, RNWR Waterfowl hunting is allowed Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, running from before mid October into late January. I am not against waterfowl hunting.

A PUBLIC MEETING will be held in the town of Ridgefield on March 26, 2009 to discuss the preliminary draft alternatives, and everyone who cares about OUR REFUGE should read this document and plan to attend the meeting. If you cannot be at the meeting, please mail, fax, or email your comments. We have until April 10 to submit comments on these alternatives to the Refuge Project Leader Bob Flores.

DOCUMENT LOCATION (Posted online Mar 10, 2009):
http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ridgefield/pdf/rnwrplnupdate3.pdf

MEETING PLACE:
March 26, 2009, 6:00-8:00 P.M.
Ridgefield Community Center
210 North Main Avenue
Ridgefield, WA 98642

COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS (Deadline April 10):
Bob Flores, Project Leader
Ridgefield NWR Complex
PO Box 457
Ridgefield, Washington 98642
(360) 887-4106
Comments may be faxed to (360) 887-4109,
Comments may be E-mailed to:
FW1PlanningComments at fws.gov
Please put
“Ridgefield NWR CCP Alternatives”
on the subject line.

Alternative 2, and Alternative 3 in this document regarding accessing and management of OUR REFUGE are especially ALARMING and would result in the LOSS of nearly half of the Auto Tour Route for Four months (Alternative 2) or Five and a half months (Alternative 3). Photographers, scenery lovers, and birders must not let this happen.

A) I STRONGLY urge all of you to read this 12-page document (plus one map).

B) I have no way of knowing to whom this was mailed, but this is VERY IMPORTANT business for OUR REFUGE, and I believe it should be widely read.

C) In 2006, when the last meeting was held, there was good attendance from hunters, but very low attendance by birders and photographers.

D) Attend the PUBLIC MEETING on MARCH 26 (short notice) if possible.

E) Even if you attend the meeting, please submit your comments (DEADLINE FOR COMMENTS is April 10) by mail, fax, or email, even if you voice them by phone or at the meeting. If you prefer, I will submit comments collectively for all who email them to me in time for me to include them and email them by the April 10 Deadline.

Let’s try and be at that meeting on the 26th and make our interests known!

Thanks,

Will Clemons
SW of Portland