[Tweeters] odd merganser at Green Lake

Patricia Loesche loes at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 19 19:37:43 PDT 2009

Around 4:30 this afternoon at Green Lake I saw what appeared to be a
common merganser, except that it had either a hugely bloated white
breast or a white object attached to its breast. I did not have my
glasses or binoculars and was unable to see it well, but the white
protuberance was noticeable enough to get the attention of other
passersby. Did anyone else see this who can offer an explanation or
better species ID? The bird was offshore in the bay just north of the
Bathhouse Theater.

Patti Loesche
Seattle