[Tweeters] Great Horned Owl Outstanding in its Nest

pcflyer at comcast.net pcflyer at comcast.net
Sat Mar 21 02:13:25 PDT 2009

Hi Tweeters,

I happened to be in Ellensburg and, while driving along Reecer Creek Road, noticed a huge owl's nest with a very distinctively eared large owl, which I assume is a Great Horned, but it is only the third time I've seen one. This is an easily spotted, very large nest and the owl seems to be determined to stay -- maybe sitting on eggs? To find it, go north on Reecer Creek,  past the Bender Rd. cross street. This will be well before the big Reecer Creek turn. The nest is on the west side of the road in a small stand of bare trees, probably cottonwoods. These trees are directly across the road from 8 or so recently-built farm-ettes, scattered across someone's old pasturage and none seemed to be built square to each other or to the road. There's a small herd of black cows in the pasture below the owl nest and the stream is visible at the foot of the trees. A conveniently placed pull-off on the south side makes for easy viewing from your car. This is very easy to spot, but sorry I can't offer better directions.

On my quick drives down Reecer in the past couple of days I've seen  loads of hawks, a bald eagle, a few red-winged blackbirds along the road and some flushed pheasant in the fields. Pretty nice over here in Eastern Washington this week and nobody can complain about the weather, either.

PC Kennedy
Gig Harbor