[Tweeters] NE Washington

Martha Jordan swanlady at drizzle.com
Sat Mar 21 23:44:37 PDT 2009

Just returned from the annual Tundra Swan Festival in Usk, Washington. That
is NE area of state along the Pend Orielle River. While the ice is still
prevalent, spring has begun the thaw. Thousands of swans are now making
their way north along with more ducks and some geese. Also, the white tailed
deer are in migration as well-they are plentiful.
The list of species seen in a brief field trip included ducks: red head,
mallard, Am. wigeon, ring-necked, pintail, woodies, gadwall, bufflehead. A
few Common mergansers and coot were seen. Swallows of several species flying
over the river. Bald eagle, red-tailed hawk, cormorants, and of course
tundra swans. Wild turkeys were around as well as one big moose (my first in
Washington State)
If you have not seen the this spectacular area for the north migration,
now is a good time. It will be great for about the next 10-14 days as these
birds move north in large numbers. I stayed at Kelly's B&B in
Newport--highly recommend the place. The thaw is late this year. Usually
things are in high gear by now, but are just getting started.
I did see two blue neck banded tundras. So, if you do get over there,
please take a look and get me those codes: Letter followed by 3 numbers.
Letters will be K, P or T. If you cannot read the number but have a long
camera lens, take a picture. This is how we read one of the collars
today--blown up on the computer screen.
Happy birding.

Martha Jordan
www.swansociety.org