[Tweeters] Red Crossbills

my96ssdcm at comcast.net my96ssdcm at comcast.net
Mon Mar 23 04:56:36 PDT 2009

My yard list this winter has definitely increased . Yesterday, I had 17 Red Crossbills bathing in my little water feature stream. In addition I had my usual visitors of Junco's, Chesnut-backed and Black Capped Chickadee's , Red Breasted Nuthatch's, Anna's, Bewick's Wren, Spotted Towhee, Song Sparrow, Bushtit , Robin, Varied Thrush, Townsend's Warbler, Crows, Steller's Jay, Starling and House Finch. I also had a Bald Eagle and a pair of Mallards flyover, both less than 50 feet. The Crossbills were very tame, I was working in the backyard when they arrived and were not the least bit phased by my being 10 feet away from them. With all of the activity in the backyard, I had my first Sharp-shinned last week, he made one pass at the suet feeder and left without success. I am now at 39 species in the year we have lived here. The stream has been the main attractor .

Toby Andrews

Bellevue