[Tweeters] RE: Status of the Conures - (Parrots) at Seward

Josh Hayes josh at blarg.net
Mon Mar 23 14:58:08 PDT 2009

Stewart writes:

>If I remember correctly, the species was never confidently determined.  It

>was between Aratinga mitrata - Mitred Conure, A. wagleri - Wagler's Conure

>and a third Aratinga/ Conure species, all of them all green, South (or

>Central?) American species with pointy tails, a red forehead spot and maybe

>12 - 14" long.

I can't distinguish any of these with respect to the pair I saw except to
say that the bellies appeared pale and the overall length, tail included,
seemed to me more in the 18" range, but of course, people (including me!)
are notoriously bad at estimating size, especially with two birds in an
otherwise unoccupied sky. Nothing to compare to. They were on a southerly
trajectory from Evergreen-Washelli graveyard, heading roughly toward Green
Lake. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

-Josh Hayes, josh at blarg dot net