[Tweeters] Franklin's Gull?

TedR coffeemonkey101 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 23 21:35:43 PDT 2009

I saw these pigeon-like birds at the Nisqually Natural Wildlife Refuge this past Sunday and didn't know what to make of them. They reminded me of a Franklin's Gull but I thought they would be out of range here in Washington. They were a little larger than a Rock Pigeon or Morning Dove and took off with the slapping wing beats typicall of a Morning Dove. The color of these birds though is not at all like any of our common doves or pigeons. What the heck are they?

I observed them near the twin barns from the twin barns outlook platform. They flew down to the ground from just under the ridge of one of the barns. I noticed them when a Peregrine Falcon spooked them out of their roost.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22620660@N04/3381533986/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22620660@N04/3381533938/

TedR
Fredrickson, WA
mailto:coffeemonkey101 ATcomcast DOT net