[Tweeters] Correction re shorebird flock at Bayview-Edison Rd, Skagit County

Ray White rw at seanet.com
Thu Mar 26 23:24:05 PDT 2009

Tonight I attended Dennis Paulson's shorebird ID training session in Everett for participants in the up-coming Port Susan Bay shorebird census. According to Dennis's remarks and his photos, the sandpipers in the flock of thousands I reported yesterday must have been Dunlin.

Phil Wegener (Bellingham) observed a similar, perhaps same flock at same place on March 8 with scope and wrote that it consisted of Black-bellied Plovers and Dunlins.

I doubt that I misled anyone, as local birders know what winters in the area--and that Least Sandpipers wouldn't be possible. But sorry if I created any confusion for non-local birders.

Ray White