[Tweeters] Red-Throated and Pacific Loon in the Tri-Cities

Rick Taylor taylorrl at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 27 22:33:18 PDT 2009

Tweeters,

Tina and I spent the last two days birding in Benton County and around the Tri-Cities. It was our first trip to Umatilla NWR. The LONG-BILLED CURLEW are back and easily seen in the irrigated fields. We dipped on the Burrowing Owl. We made a lunch stop at the Columbia-Crest Winery at Paterson yesterday and found a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, a MERLIN, and a GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET in the little line of pines bordering the parking lot. In Richland, we had four AMERICAN AVOCET in the Yakima delta. The best birds were today with a RED-THROATED LOON in Franklin County just off the swimming beach at Sacajawea State Park and a PACIFIC LOON from Two Rivers Park boat launch across the river in Benton County. Now, if I could just have convinced them to change places to add them to both county lists.....

Enjoy!

Rick

Rick and Tina Taylor
Everett, WA