[Tweeters] Black Lake (Thurston) Cormorants

Douglas Canning dcanning at zhonka.net
Sat Mar 28 21:48:29 PDT 2009

Tweets -

In recent days I have seen upwards of 470 Double-crested Cormorant on
the north end of Black Lake, Thurston County. This is an unusually
large number for this location in this season. Typically, I would
expect to see them here in a range of 50 to 100 (at most) this time of

Their activity here (at any time of year) seems to be mostly resting,
with little or no feeding. They apparently commute 'tween here and the
Puget Sound embayments to the north - Budd, Henderson, and Eld.

To see my comparative observations from other years, go to
www.birdnotes.net select "Generate custom checklists for states,
counties, or other places" then request "Black Lake" in "Thurston"

Douglas Canning
Olympia, Wash.
dcanning at zhonka.net