[Tweeters] Do rufous hummers displace Anna's?

Allison Reak areak at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 30 09:39:21 PDT 2009

Two weeks ago, I saw rufous hummingbirds in my Seattle (Ballard)
neighborhood, fighting/chasing around a huge Doug fir where a pair nests
every year. Last week, the wintering Anna's hummer that had staked out my
feeder, visiting daily for 5 months, disappeared. The feeder is in my
backyard; the Doug fir is in the front, across the street. What happened to
the Anna's? Do Anna's move out when rufous hummers arrive? Do hummers stop
visiting feeders when they are sitting on eggs? Death, coincidence, found a
mate with a better territory elsewhere?

Allison