[Tweeters] Northern Saw-Whet Owl on Queen Anne, Seattle

Rachel RachelWL at msn.com
Tue Mar 31 10:02:54 PDT 2009

Last night at about 10:30, my husband and I were watching a DVD of some
nonsensical French film when something hit the the glass door to the
backyard. As I jumped up to look, a bird flew to a low branch of the
fig tree just outside the door, and I could see a tiny, square-headed
owl silhouetted against the brighter sky...Northern Saw-Whet! I turned
on the outside light, which was just bright enough to show the owl's
facial disk, and a few seconds later, it flew away. I am absolutely
astonished. We live on the South Slope of Queen Anne, which is heavily
developed, but we aren't too far from Kinnear Park.

Rachel Lawson
Seattle
RachelWL at msn.com