FW: [Tweeters] FYI - Alabama Mockingbird?

Barbara Miller bmill07 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 31 12:36:44 PDT 2009

When I lived in Boston I loved it when mockingbirds were in the area because
they gave me something to listen to when I woke up in the middle of the
night. I also took a class once from Richard Walton, who wrote "Birding by
Ear" and, at least in the northeast, one can distinguish a mockingbird from
other imitative birds by counting the repetitions they make of a given song
before imitating another one-a mockingbird will sing the same song at least
three times. A useful thing to know when one can't see the bird because of
darkness or because one really isn't about to get up out of bed and go
outside to look for it.

Barb Miller

Bellevue, WA

Barb at Comcast dot net