[Tweeters] Nice migration activity at the Montlake Fill this morning

Evan Houston evanghouston at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 11:32:52 PDT 2009

Hi Tweeters,

I had been making a few quick afternoon stops at the Montlake Fill the past few weeks hoping for some migrant passerines and others, mainly without luck. This morning I was able to get over there early, and a lot of migrants were evident, though nothing rare. The best mix was over at Surber grove (the grove encompassed by 41st and Surber), with lesser amounts in the treeline at the edge the field directly S and E of the CUH buildings. The highlights are listed below:

Wilson's Warbler: Dennis Paulson says this is likely one of the 10 most abundant birds in WA, and they were all over the place today, probably at least 20+

Warbling Vireo: Also quite numerous, though higher up in trees and harder to spot. Probably 15+

Western Tanager - at least 3 including several males in Surber grove

Black-headed Grosbeak - one calling in Surber grove

Yellow warbler - one singing

Orange-crowned Warbler - one

Empidonax flycatcher - one was a calling Hammond's Flycatcher, and several others were silent and did not offer great views, so I'm not entirely sure what they were (even if they had offered good looks, with my moderate empid ID skills I probably still wouldn't know what they were unless they vocalized!).

Golden-crowned Sparrow - 3 late migrants, looking spectacular in their breeding plumage, a picture of one is here (doesn't quite do him justice):

http://tinyurl.com/qyucp2

Good birding,
Evan Houston
Seattle, WA