[Tweeters] Skagit Surf Scoters

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 20:56:19 PDT 2009

Dear Tweeters,

Today at Cockreham Island boat launch (Skagit County near Lyman), my son and I happened to be looking out at the swollen river during a rainy evening, when there came three ducks floating downstream. That's not unusual, but these three were! There were two male SURF SCOTERS and a female Harlequin Duck.

Harelquins are regular on the Skagit River. Who knows, maybe they bred on the river before all the man-made changes of the last century.

However, to the best of my recollection, I have never seen a scoter of any kind in fresh water in Skagit County. What a surprise!

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch   Near Lyman, Washington (Skagit County), USA   garybletsch at yahoo.com