[Tweeters] Swallow feather recycling

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 22:19:09 PDT 2009

Hi Tweeters,

I have been religously checking the powerline trail adjacent to the Kent Ponds for Lazuli Buntings and no luck so far in that regard. Today I saw something really interesting though. Tree Swallows were on the trail and were picking at a pile of coyote scat. I thought that was weird until I looked closer and saw that the scat contained feathers. Desperate little birds to recycle those particular feathers.

Roosting in Kent, near Lake Meridian
(chukarbird at yahoo dot com)
Any driving directions contained within this message are given as a courtesy, beware, author is directionally challenged and will not vouch for them.