[Tweeters] Western Scrub Jay on Capitol Hill, Seattle

mgd at myuw.net mgd at myuw.net
Tue Nov 17 12:37:04 PST 2009

Western Scrub-jays are in my yard on Beacon Hill almost daily all year long; they've been around almost three years. I occasionally feed them peanuts and when I do so it's interesting to watch their interactions with the Steller's Jays. The Scrub-jays are dominant over the Steller's. The Steller's usually carry away two peanuts--one in their crop and one in their beak, while the Scrub-jays carry only one--in their beak. I often find the cached peanuts when I'm gardening.

Mike Donahue
Seattle's Beacon Hill