[Tweeters] Point Wilson Yellow-billed Loon's Return

Bob Whitney rlw at cablespeed.com
Tue Nov 17 15:02:10 PST 2009

Point Wilson
11-17-09 time 0900~1230, tide outgoing, seas 1ft swell, high broken clouds, wind 3~5 mph from the south,air temp 51 degrees
Pacific Loon 23
Red-throated Loon 1
Yellow-billed Loon 1
Red-necked Grebe 2
Horned Grebe 2
Pelagic Cormorant 17
Double-crested Cormorant 18
Brandt's Cormoeant 4
Common Murre 16
Pigeon Guillemot 17
Rhinoceros Auklet 2
Marbled Murrelet 2
Ancient Murrelet 14
Glaucous-winged Gull+ hybrid 32
Mew Gull 5
Bonaparte's Gull 1
Black Brant 10
Surf Scoter 29
White-winged Scoter 14
Black Scoter 3
Harlequin Duck 9
Bufflehead 18
Red-breasted Merganser 27
Sanderling 23
Dunlin 1
Northern Flicker 1
American Crow 1
Song Sparrow 2
House Sparrow 53
House Finch 5

I think the YbL is the same bird that spent last winter in the waters near and around Point Wilson. Now why do I say that! I have looked at images from 11-14-08 with today's images of 11-17-09 and both birds look very much alike. That alone does not mean that both birds are one and the same. I spent over 30 hours observing the YbL from last year. The YbL of 11-17-09 showed the same feeding behavior and preference for feeding area. So I say this is the same YbL from last year, welcome back. I look forward to seeing you in the months to come.
I acquired some nice images from 11-17-09 and will put a few up on my site in the coming days.

Robert Whitney
rlw at cablespeed.com