[Tweeters] Oct.2009 TUVU report (short and late)

Diann MacRae tvulture at vei.net
Sat Nov 21 14:39:46 PST 2009

Hi, Tweets

Late as usual! Not too long a report and not many
large flocks of turkey vultures reported this
fall, but I’m sure they have passed through as
always. Thanks to all who continue to send me
reports or post vultures on Tweeters. It is much
appreciated. Following are turkey vultures seen
in Washington anad Oregon during October 2009:

02 – 54 kettling over Tahuya and then heading
south toward Shelton; 45-50ish kettling over Lake
City Way in Seattle; 1 heading south over
Seattle; 77 flying north to south over the
Kennedy Creek estuary; 75 streaming over Ridgefield NWR; 10 over Deception Pass
03 – 373 into Salt Creek from across the strait;
2 over the Chehalis Wildlife Area; TVs everywhere
from Newport to Lincoln City in Oregon
04 – 1 heading south over I-5 south of Skagit County
09 – 5 near the Roslyn/Cle Elum area
10 – 7 working on a deer carcass near Sprague Lake
16 – 1 soaring over downtown Portland
21 – 2 over the Elwha River mouth

October 2nd seemed to be the big day for seeing
turkey vultures on the move. Not many overwinter
in our area, but if you see some, please let me
know. I’ve got one November report as of now.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Cheers, Diann

Diann MacRae
Olympic Vulture Study