[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2009-10-08

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Oct 8 17:31:24 PDT 2009

Tweets - maybe it was a good thing that several of my "regulars" were out of
town or otherwise away today, as there were 20 of us even so. That's a big
group, but we just sort of strung along and tried to let those at either end
know what was being seen. Sharon kept calling us back for the good birds!

The morning was foggy to start, though not so bad that it really hindered
viewing except at the lake. But after the first hour or so when things were
hopping, the day got REALLY SLOW - basically from the weir to the lake, we
saw almost nothing. It picked up a bit after that, though, and our 5+ hours
netted a good species list and a few surprises.

Gr. White-fronted Goose 2 with Canadas, seen by few of us
RUDDY DUCK First of the year, female at lake
Western Grebe Brian and 1 had 2 late on the lake, FoF
Green Heron 3 sightings
Northern Harrier 1 or more constantly overhead, it seemed
Sharp-shinned Hawk Tiny presumed male at Compost Piles
Cooper's Hawk Juvenile. Also, some accipiter sp. seen.
Wilson's Snipe First of Fall (FoF), 2 at Rowing Club
Barn Owl 1 flew north across soccer fields early
Hairy Woodpecker Male gave great views near weir
Anna's Hummingbird 3+, including displaying male at Pea Patch
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1-2 birds, seen poorly
COMMON RAVEN 1 calling as it flew west - First of the year
American Pipit About 10 near east-end ball fields
BREWER'S BLACKBIRD First of the year - rare bird for Marymoor
Pine Siskin FoF - 3-4 at Pea Patch

Essentially no summer birds left. Absolutely no swifts, flycatchers,
vireos, swallows, Swainson's Thrush, warblers (except for Yellow-rumped),
tanagers, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Lazuli Buntings, or cowbirds.

Only about 4 of the 61 species we had today are birds that don't winter in
this area.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm