[Tweeters] Lapland Longspur in Browns Point Lighthouse Park-Thayer's Gulls return to Gog-Le-Hi-Te

Shep Thorp tanwaxlake at comcast.net
Sat Oct 10 20:31:10 PDT 2009

Hi Tweets,

Yesterday and today I’ve seen a female Lapland Longspur feeding on the grass
around the picnic benches on the southwest side of the Browns Point
Lighthouse Park. She may be a first winter bird, but has a discrete dark
frame around her auriculars, buffy streaked breast, and beautiful chestnut
margined coverts and tertials. I’m worried about her health, but she seems
to be eating well and readily flees when approached. Hopefully this little
traveler is just catching up on a rest stop! I would not be surprised if
the Longspur hangs around for a couple of days.

I stopped by Gog-Le-Hi-Te the other day and was thrilled to see the return
of many Thayer’s gulls. A few were hanging out on the roof of the blue BTT
building next to the park, a familiar spot. I also discovered many in the
most inland pond adjacent to the 509 overpass with a mixed group of
Glaucous-winged, Olympic, Western, and California Gulls eating dead salmon.
I’ve also enjoyed seeing two Long-billed Dowitchers in this pond over the
past two weeks.

Good birding!

Shep Thorp
Browns Point, Tacoma