[Tweeters] Link to Great Blue Heron swallowing a Common Moorhen

Vicki Biltz vickibiltz at msn.com
Tue Oct 27 13:09:53 PDT 2009

Hi,

My digiscoping buddy Tara, in Florida sent me this posting that she took this summer. The Moorhen was sucessful in raising her brood, but she came to a rather odd end to her breeding season......she is done for!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37995564@N05/4047832081/in/set-72157622524719279/

It is amazing to me, the ways of the natural world. I remember the time I watched a Great Blue spend 30 minutes trying to make a Bullhead Catfish (that is what we call them in Kansas, there are several different kinds of catfish there) dead enough to swallow. Its fins were locked upright and straight out; and the fish did not relent to death in that time period. The Great Blue kept whacking the poor fish on a large rock! Over and over, and would try to swallow in a different position.

My dad grew weary of waiting for me to watch the end of the story, so I had to leave. If the Great Blue swallowed this thing too soon, it would have been the end of both of them. I can only guess how that situation ended.

Vicki Biltz
Bonney Lake, Wa
vickibiltz at msn.com
http://www.sawwhetsnew.blogspot.com/