[Tweeters]: Juanita Bay Park this evening

Kevin Mack kevin_mack at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 21:14:35 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I stopped by Juanita Bay Park from 4 pm to about 5:30 pm today and spent
some quality time with a Great Blue Heron as he stalked the western part of
the bay and made a meal out of a giant salamander. Green-winged Teals,
Gadwalls, Mallards and American Coots were present in abundance and they
were quite a sight when they all exploded out of the bay at the same time as
an adult Bald Eagle Flew over. The eagle landed in a tall fir at the west
end of the bay which didn¹t seem to phase the heron at all. After perching
in the tree for a few minutes, the eagle¹s mate flew in and joined her.
With the eagles safely out of the air, the ducks resumed their dabbling. A
male Belted Kingfisher was using the Osprey nest platform in the middle of
the bay as an observation point, diving down periodically to snatch an
unwary minnow. The ³flying turtle² from a couple weeks ago was also
present, and still sitting on his precarious looking perch. Also sighted
were Northern Flickers, a Pileated Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadees,
American Crows, Song Sparrows, Cedar Waxwings, Northern Shovelers, House
Finches, House Sparrows and American Robins.

I took (probably too many) photos of the heron and a few other species.
I¹ll let you know when I get them up on my site for viewing.

Happy Birding!

Kevin Mack
Edmonds, WA