[Tweeters] Sharp-tailed Sandpiper in Kent

Byers byers345 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 6 11:43:30 PDT 2009

Hi, Tweeters,

Bill and I arrived at the Thomas mitigation wetland pond just
after 9 am this morning. We saw a small flock of shorebirds flying over the
Valley Freeway just as we were exiting. They flew over to the pond, we
arrived soon after and there, on the muddy spit, were the Pectoral
Sandpipers and the two Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. Bill did get a few photos,
then they flew to the east side of the pond where they were mixing with
Dowitchers, Yellowlegs, a Great Blue Heron, but still visible. Kraig Kemper
then arrived as did a few other birders. Many of the shorebirds were
spooked by repeated passes by a Northern Harrier, but I think everyone
ultimately got a look at the Short-tails.

We then drove down to another mitigation wetland south of the
next big warehouse to the south. There we flushed a Bittern and observed a
Sharp-shinned Hawk among other birds. All together a pretty birdy place for
being right next to Hwy. 167.

Happy Birding, Charlotte Byers, Seattle