[Tweeters] American Dipper@ Wallace Swamp Creek Park

LINDA PHILLIPS linda_phillips1252 at msn.com
Wed Oct 7 19:28:07 PDT 2009

Greetings Fellow Birders,

It is typical for a single American Dipper to show up at Wallace Swamp Creek Park in middle to late December. Sunday a non-birder park user told me that she had seen a dark colored bird fly low over the water, land on a rock, and start doing deep knee bends. Her description was so clear that I had to believe her report but I was more than a little astonished to know a dipper had shown up in October. Today I had just about finished my walk through the park with a list of 27 species and wanting to make it 30 before I went home. I stopped on the footbridge to look at the rocks below . As I scanned I noticed a bit of poop that looked like it could have been left by a dipper then right on cue the dipper moved into my field of sight. It generously let me watch for 5 minutes or more as it foraged in the gurgling water.
Eventually I left the park with only 29 species on my list but was more that satisfied by finding the dipper.
(Wallace Swamp Creek Park is 1 mile north of Bothell Way in Kenmore on 73rd Ave NE)

Linda Phillips
linda_phillips1252 at msn.com<mailto:linda_phillips1252 at msn.com>
Kenmore 98028-2616