[Tweeters] Sharp-tailed Sand still at Jensen

Marv Breece mbreece at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 19 20:12:45 PDT 2009

Gary Bletsch already thoroughly covered our hours at Jensen Access (Skagit County) yesterday (10.18.09). Since there are still people interested in the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, I send this post to highlight the bird and to add a bit more detail.

We first spotted the bird in the field to the east of the drive into Jensen. The tide was extremely high, forcing the sharp-tail, Dunlin, Pectoral Sandpipers and Black-bellied Plovers to cross the dike into the field.

Later, as the tide was receding, we saw the sharp-tail at close range as it foraged on the saltwater side of the dike.

This (and/or other) sharp-tail has been observed at Jensen Access on Fir Island since September 28.

Marv Breece
Seattle, WA
mbreece at earthlink.net