[Tweeters] Hoquiam Chestnut-sided Longspur and Clay-colored Sparrow

Brad Waggoner wagtail at sounddsl.com
Wed Oct 21 21:53:33 PDT 2009

Hi All,

At 3:00 I easily re-located the Chestnut-collared Longspur found by the
Norton's and the Watkins's at the Hoquiam STP. As per directions by
Doug, the Longspur was near the curve sign along Airport Way at the base
of the barbed wire fence on the pond side of the road. It was quite
accommodating allowing fairly close approach as it fed in the bare areas
running along this fence line. It appears to be an adult male in winter
plumage with more black showing on the underside than I expected at this
time of year (at least more than is shown in the National Geographic).
Great bird - thanks for the call Doug.

I also had a Clay-colored Sparrow not far from the longspur spot. It was
also along Airport Way but it was .2 miles west of Paulson Road near the
entrance gate to the Refuge building. It was associating with a zono flock.

It sure turned out to be a nice evening down at Hoquaim and well worth
the long drive. Plus, it got me out of making more on my landscape job

Cheers and good birding,

Brad Waggoner
Bainbridge Island
mailto:wagtail at sounddsl.com