[Tweeters] Edmonds: "Hootenanny" and More

Carol Riddell cariddell at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 17 13:00:54 PDT 2010

Hi Tweets,

Last night (4-16-10) I was walking with another birder friend through
Yost Park in the rain. As we cut through the parking lot by the
swimming pool, we heard loud and seemingly agitated BARRED OWL
calls. We both had a sense of three birds. Hopefully this means
there will be nesting again and owlets by late May or early June.
Today (4-17-10) was drizzly most of the morning and the marsh was
fairly quiet but there were still some interesting sightings. Ninety
five GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flew west by northwest over town and
across the Sound. Fifty CEDAR WAXWINGS were in a tree in the Harbor
Square parking lot. It was a three alcid morning with PIGEON
GUILLEMOTS, five RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, and one COMMON MURRE. BRANT
were still present but in greatly reduced numbers and one WESTERN
GREBE was floating near the public pier. I saw my first-of-year
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER at the marsh. Two LINCOLN'S SPARROWS at the
west end of the marsh raise my hopes for nesting even though they are
supposed to breed above 3000 feet of elevation. Time will tell, but
there is probably a greater likelihood that the pair of NORTHERN
SHOVELERS hanging around the ponds will breed on the south side of
the marsh. I returned home to large white stuff floating slowly down
in my yard--cherry blossoms, not snow.

Edmonds Waterfront

Brant (15)
Canada Goose
Surf Scoter
Horned Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Western Grebe (1)
Brandt's Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Pelagic Cormorant
Great Blue Heron (in the marina on the electrical box)
Bald Eagle (1 ad.)
Killdeer (Marina Beach)
Bonaparte's Gull (1)
Glaucous-winged Gull
Common Murre (1 from the pier)
Pigeon Guillemot
Rhinoceros Auklet (5)
Rock Pigeon
Belted Kingfisher (1 male)
Crow
Violet-green Swallow (1 from the pier)
Robin
Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Savannah Sparrow (4 at Marina Beach)
White-crowned Sparrow

Marsh

Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Killdeer (1)
Anna's Hummingbird (1 male)
Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit
Bewick's Wren
Robin
Cedar Waxwing (50)
Orange-crowned Warbler (1)
Spotted Towhee
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow (2)
Golden-crowned Sparrow (2)
Red-winged Blackbird

Hatchery/Point Edwards

Greater White-Fronted Goose (95 fly-over)
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Bufflehead
Great Blue Heron (1 fly-over)