[Tweeters] Film of Spoon-billed Sandpiper (not RBA)

Tyler Hicks tyler_hicks at wsu.edu
Wed Aug 4 16:46:09 PDT 2010

Tweeters,

I want to thank Adam for passing on the link to this amazing video. Sadly, in the not too distant future, it may not be possible to see or video record this remarkable bird species. The Spoon-billed Sandpiper is one of the most critically endangered shorebird species in the world and continues to decline. The cause of its decline includes hunting on its wintering grounds in Myanmar (Burma) and widespread destruction of migratory and wintering habitat through tidal flat and estuary reclamation (see http://www.thingswithwings.org/page3/page3.html for more information). For instance the 30,000 ha Saemangeum estuary in South Korea annually hosted nearly 200 Spoon-billed Sandpipers every fall. However, the entire estuary was destroyed after completion of 50 km long seawall was built in the early 2000's to reclaim the area for agriculture and industrial use. If you are interested in learning more about the decline the Spoon-billed Sandpiper and other East Asian shorebirds I encourage you to visit Birds Korea, the region's primary bird conservation group, webpage at www.birdskorea.org and for more information on the Spoon-billed Sandpiper you can visit (http://www.birdskorea.org/Birds/Key_Species/BK-KS-Spoon-billed-Sandpiper.shtml). If you are interested in finding ways to help or raise awareness about endangered East Asian bird species such as the Spoon-billed Sandpiper please feel free to contact me at (tyler.hicks at birdskorea.org). Also I am always eager to give talks at local Audubon or or ornithology groups about bird conservation in the Yellow Sea ecoregion.

Cheers,

Tyler

Tyler L. Hicks

Ph.D. Student
Washington State University Vancouver

E-mail: tyler_hicks at wsu.edu
Web Page: http://thingswithwings.org

"Back off man, I'm a scientist." Bill Murray, Ghostbusters.