[Tweeters] Fill today

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 11:40:59 PDT 2010

Hey tweets, the Fill was really hopping this morning, which was the
only thing that made it possible for me to drag my sorry self around
the Loop Trail in the heat. Already by 7:30 a.m., the sun was beating
down like it thought it was the star of one of those old-days Western
TV shows, in which the lone cowpoke is stranded out in the desert with
a hole in his canteen and no horse. That was me today.

My reward for nearly suffering heatstroke was a great tally of birds,
including:
4 Green-winged Teals on Main Pond (they're baaccckkk)
8 Least Sandpipers (2 on Main Pond, 6 on Shoveler's Pond)
1 Spotted Sandpiper (Main Pond - this bird has been hanging out here
lately)
2 juvenile Hooded Mergansers (Main Pond)
1 Marsh Wren (singing like it as spring in the bulrushes on Shoveler's
Pond), and:

Lots of juveniles: Bewick's Wrens, Black-capped Chickadees, Spotted
Towhees, and Song Sparrows, all pestering their parents with incessant
cries for food. This evoked a wave of shameful but satisfying
schadenfreude in me, as I remembered those fraught days when our kids
were newborns and John and I concluded that sleep was but a distant
dream. I think we're still making up our sleep deficit, and that dated
from 27 years ago.

By the way, the CUH staff and hired workers will be spraying for
Yellow Garden Loosestrife this week. There is quite an outbreak in
Yesler Cove (already sprayed), all along the shore of the Turtle Logs,
and even on the inland side of the Loop Trail where it parallels the
lake. Chemically sensitive people should beware. I'll try to post a
notice on the whiteboard if I learn the exact day of spraying this
week. As I understand it, Yellow Garden Loosestrife has no natural
devourers (as Purple Loosestrife does), and it grows in scattered
clumps out of reach of hand-pulling, so spraying is pretty much the
only option. I talked to a pest control person who is with the county,
and she told me we have to jump on this noxious weed quickly because
it spreads amazingly fast if nothing is done. - Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com