[Tweeters] WOS Naches Pass trip 1 Aug 2010

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Thu Aug 5 22:30:07 PDT 2010

Hi Tweets

On Sunday 1 Aug 2010, Matt Bartels and I led a WOS trip to the Naches Pass area. We got started early under overcast skies in Tukwila, and it stayed overcast until be actually began the climb up to the pass. At Southcente where we assembled we had groups of AMERICAN CROWS, a single WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW and an AMERICAN ROBIN. We left some of the cars at Fort Dent Park and picked up CEDAR WAXWING. We had three RED-TAILED HAWKS on the way down SR 167.

We took the 196th/208th loop just west of Enumclaw and quickly picked up our first EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, eventually seeing about 15. BARN SWALLOWs were out early, a few HOUSE SPARROWs were around. AMERICAN GOLDFINCH were at several places. An adult BALD EAGLE was perched in the top of a tree. As we passed thru Enumclaw we saw ROCK PIGEON, EURASIAN STARLING, AMERICAN KESTREL, TREE SWALLOW, MOURNING DOVE and COMMON RAVEN.

Just past Greenwater (Pierce County) we turned off SR 410 onto FR 70 and stopped and walked out into the clearcut field. We had WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW (Pugetensis), CASSIN'S VIREO, WESTERN TANAGER, DARK-EYED JUNCO, VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW, AMERICAN ROBIN, BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, RUFUOUS HUMMINGBIRD, and STELLER'S JAY.

Once we passed back into King County, we stopped at the Kiols/Parking area just before heading uphill, and heard a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER. But the darn bird just wouldn't be seen. A ways up the hill we stopped at a small knoll by the side of the road and heard PACIFIC WREN, DARK-EYED JUNCO, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (Audubon's). Further up the road we had BAND-TAILED PIGEON, EVENING GROSBEAK and COMMON RAVEN.

At milepost 15 we stopped and walked into the forest. At first it was quiet, but then we heard an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER giving its three-noted chirrup. This quickly turned into at least three Olive-sideds. We had a possible Red-naped Sapsucker/Red-breasted Sapsucker fly in, but it was so thoroughly backlit that we couldn't get confirmation. Shortly after a nice pure RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER flew into the same tree with better light. The area started jumping, with YELLOW-RUMPED, TOWNSEND'S, and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERs, NORTHERN FLICKER, HAIRY WOODPECKER, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, a probable PURPLE FINCH, RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and EVENING GROSBEAK.

On up to Government Meadows (the lower meadows). It was now a beautiful day, and we managed to coax a LINCOLN'S SPARROW in for close views. A TURKEY VULTURE flew over, and we heard more EVENING GROSBEAKs and a couple of DARK-EYED JUNCOs.

We had a nice hike up to the upper Government Meadows, and at the cabin had another LINCOLN'S SPARROW, a couple of GRAY JAYs including a young'n. Just past Naches Pass (elevation 4800 ft) we finally located the post marking the corner between King, Pierce, Kittitas, and Yakima Counties. There we had: King - AMERICAN ROBIN, CASSIN'S FINCH, DARK-EYED JUNCO, PINE SISKIN, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW (gambelli); Pierce - OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, PINE SISKIN, WESTERN TANAGER, and TURKEY VULTURE; Yakima - OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, PINE SISKIN, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, WESTERN TANAGER, and TURKEY VULTURE; Kittitas - YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, and TURKEY VULTURE. On the way in and out we picked up TOWSEND'S WARBLER, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE, HERMIT THRUSH, CHIPPING SPARROW, and RED-TAILED HAWK. By this time we were saying "oh, it just another Olive-sided Flycatcher". We must have seen and heard 20 of them.

After getting back to the cars we took time for lunch, enjoying the day. We then went back down the mountain and up the road to Windy Gap (5400 ft). On the way we stopped where Ollie and Grace Oliver had seen Calliope and Black-chinned Hummingbirds the day before, but we only had one unidentified hummer. We did have a RED-TAILED HAWK dive down the mountain-side with something in its talons. A TURKEY VULTURE flew overhead. At Windy Gap itself we saw a female MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD and a young (in Kittitas County - the county line runs right along the ridge). We saw CASSIN'S FINCH in both Kittitas and King, CHIPPING SPARROW in King, had three TURKEY VULTUREs come up the valley and then turn around and go back northeast, and a couple of singing WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWs (pugetensis).

It was a good day with excellent companions, with many nice birds seen. One of the best days for Olive-sided Flycatchers.

Brian H. Bell
Woodinville WA
mail to bell asoc at iso media dot com

Matt Bartels