[Tweeters] Lake Sammamish State Park Bird Walk Report, Issaquah WA - Aug 2, 2010

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 6 15:10:39 PDT 2010

On Monday, Aug 2, 2010, Stan Wood and Sharon Aagaard were joined by 4 other birders (all Marymoor "regulars") on their monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park in Issaquah, WA for Eastside Audubon. When we started at 8 am the skies were overcast, then turned sunny and blue. We enjoyed a light breeze, with temps ranging from the high 60's to mid 70s. We covered about 3 miles in 4-1/2 hours of birding, and were back at the cars at 12:30 pm, then headed to "Rock n Roll Burger" for lunch.

It was a walk abundant with juvenile birds of many different species. Of special note were 2 juv. Red-Tailed Hawks flying & calling above the fields; 1 juv. Red-Breasted Sapsucker was foraging with an adult; 2 juv. Western Wood-Pewees and 4 young Purple Finch were being fed by their respective parents; and the biggest find of all was spotting 3 juv. Pileated Woodpeckers foraging on tree trunks in a Cottonwood forest! Other sightings of note: we saw/heard 5 woodpecker species (Red-breasted Sapsucker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, & Pileated Woodpecker); 4 flycatchers (Olive-sided, Western Wood-Pewee, Willow, Pacific-slope); 2 vireos (Warbling & Red-eyed); 5 swallows (all but Bank Swallow); and 4 warblers (Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Gray (6), and Common Yellowthroat). Hard to believe, but we missed seeing/hearing a Spotted Towhee! We had 59 species for the walk. It was a good day of birding with good folks.

Canada Goose 35
Wood Duck 3
Gadwall 1
Mallard 50