[Tweeters] Three Falcon Day

Blair Bernson blair at washingtonadvisorygroup.com
Sun Aug 8 21:38:33 PDT 2010

I was in Ellensburg today and had a few extra hours so headed over to
Wenas. Fairly quiet without too many birds at lest in my whirlwind trip
but the day had its highlights including a number of juvenile blue
birds, but the best was that I had a three falcon day (had I known, I
might have stopped by Snoqualmie Falls to see if the Peregrine is there
and gone for 4). The first was a Prairie Falcon just as I hit the
unpaved portion of Umptanum Road. Perched on a rocky outcropping but
flew before I could capture it on film. The second was a beautiful and
cooperative Kestrel on the way back (also on Umptanum). The third was
the prize: remember that the Merlin used to be called a "pigeon hawk".
Just before hitting Sammamish on I-90 a flock of pigeons dove across the
highway about 30 feet overhead. Right in the middle was a falcon form
that as it veered and then HIT one of the pigeons was clearly
identifiable as a Merlin. The pigeon fell to the roadside and the
Merlin alit next to it ... as I passed by. Wish I had stopped at the
Falls...