[Tweeters] Pete Lake Evening Grosbeaks

amy schillinger schillingera at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 9 09:03:51 PDT 2010

Hi Scott,

I too, recently spent the weekend at Pete Lake (we also hiked up to Spectacle Lake despite the warnings) and encountered the same numbers of Evening Grosbeaks. They were indeed everywhere. What I found interesting was that they were so tame! They would fly right down to the ground in front of us, even right at our tent and seemed so inquisititve. On your other note, were the Barrow's young still with them? When we went, the young were still with the parents and quite noisy! Lastly, I don't know how much of a night "owl" you are, but around 11:00pm each evening at Pete Lake we heard Pygmy Owl, followed by Barred Owl around dusk. Great place to hike! Did you do the entire loop from Pete Lake up and over Pollalie Ridge?

Cheers,

Amy Schillinger
Renton, WA
schillingera at hotmail.com