[Tweeters] Leucistic Rufous Hummingbird

Jenny Graevell avijenee at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 09:52:32 PDT 2010

Hi Tweets,

Friday proved to be an interesting day in Douglas County.  We experienced a huge southward migration of hummingbirds on the edge of the cold front that went through this weekend. I was kept busy filling hummingbird feeders and we went through nearly three gallons of nectar. The majority of birds, were HY Rufous, followed in lower numbers of Calliope, a few Black-chinneds and a couple of Annas. Amongst the frenzied activity, my husband spotted an unusual leucistic Rufous. The bird is gorgeous in tones of muted beige and white.
   Saturday morning after the storms of the previous night, the number of individual birds were greatly reduced. Although the Leucistic bird stayed with us for the weekend.
If you would like to see photos, please email me offsite and I will forward them on to you.

Jenny Graevell
East Wenatchee, Wa.