[Tweeters] RFI - Sooty Shearwater numbers

Hans-Joachim Feddern thefedderns at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 23:06:11 PDT 2010

My wife and I visited the Quinault Rain Forest and Ocean Shores last
Thursday and Friday (Aug 5/6). Both afternoons we saw an endless stream of
SOOTY SHEARWATERS gliding south. It stretched from as far as one could see
in the north all the way to the south. There were also large numbers resting
on the water inside Gray's Harbor. Friday morning they were closer to the
shore and heading north!
Does anybody know, if there ever has been a good estimate of the number of
them?

Also seen was the Queen/King Eider at the usual spot at Damon Point. Closer
in to the rocks was a rather scruffy, but almost tame RED-THROATED LOON. We
also walked the Weathermax Trail and there seemed to be PACIFIC WRENS at
every turn.

Cheers!

Hans Feddern
Twin Lakes/Federal Way,WA.