[Tweeters] oriole retraction

Paul Hicks phicks at accessgrace.org
Wed Aug 11 16:18:25 PDT 2010

Tweets, This may go without saying, but the possible Orchard Oriole reported
near Tenino 8/2 most likely was a tanager. I have since observed two
tanagers on utility wires near the same spot (though not for nearly such a
long time), so this behavior is not so "odd" after all. The noted agility of
the tail was probably necessary for balance since so may swallows packing
onto and alternately taking flight from the same wire (also obscuring the
view somewhat) caused it to bounce and sway slightly. (I'm still baffled as
to why the body size appeared so small next to the swallows.) Besides, the
time of year is probably off. So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

: - )

-- Paul Hicks / Tenino, s. Thurston Co / phicks AT accessgrace.org