[Tweeters] Possible female King Eider near Crockett Lake

csdesilets at comcast.net csdesilets at comcast.net
Sat Aug 14 12:19:39 PDT 2010

I found a large sea duck accompanied by two immature mergansers in a small pond off Hwy 20W going out to the Port Townsend Ferry.  The duck had a distinctly Eider-like bill with a v-shaped patch of feathers at the base of the bill.  My first thought was a female King Eider.  Problem is the back and side of the bird was a uniformly brownish-gray rather then the more brown description and pictures that I've seen, and it had two white patches on the side of it's head!!  I took a picture of the bird with my point-and-shoot which isn't real clear, but does show the white on the side of the head.  I tried circling the pond to get a closer look, but it kept swimming back to the center of the pond.

I would like some feedback on this sighting to clarify just what i did see.