[Tweeters] OCEAN SHORES AUGUST 13 & 14

Ruth Sullivan godwit513 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 15 16:04:40 PDT 2010

Hello Tweeters,
Since it was going to be so hot this weekend, I figured driving to the Ocean
would be the best think to do.the trouble with this was it was Friday ,where
every one going on the road,it took me over three hours from Tacoma to Ocean
Shores.I paired up with Kay Norton who I birdied with in Nisqually.We met
Khan Tran and Mark Houston,Katy Andrich who I not been seeing for such a
long time and many other birders,where all came for the Hudsonian Godwit.But
some one found a Stilt Sandpiper ,what is a great find Khan showed us the
bird and I got some close photos
There was not that many Shorebirds as we had in previous weeks,but there
was plenty to see yet,especial the young Peregrine was hunting the area,but
he came out empty every time,it was fun to watch,but it could be if this
bird don't get his prey he would not live long.He really tried hard going
away and coming with such speed back seeing this bird among all the
Shorebird and flying off empty Khan Thran also showed us an adult in
breeding plumage Pacific Golden Plover ,this bird did not stay around
long,he flew direction Damon point,,probable to the tip .where Patrick and I
found them so many times in the past.We went to the Jetty and looking from a
higher point ,we did see no Rock birds,You could not got a parking place
close to the jetty,this is where most all people go ,sitting on the sands
with there chairs and flying the kites.One Kite was absolutely beautiful it
was a big huge Dragonfly (Darner species) This Kite was also not gorgeous
he also was flying the best.So there is more to see than birds.
We went back who we had all the many Shorebirds ,and there was now coming
in more from every whereas ,most all juvenile Western Sandpipers.there was
sighted on to 4 Semipalmated Sandpipers,but with all the looking I could not
find one,There also was only few Dowitchers left,and few Least Sandpipers
what was on the higher beaches as always and few Semipalmated also not that
many as 35.
We both left on Saturday evening ,it was pretty hot even on the Ocean ,there
said it got in the 100 degree heat,walking the beaches in the hot sand got
us pretty worn out ,the stores also was out of Ice. Looking at my photos
there all looking good and I will post the photos tomorrow afternoon.

Good birdying ,Ruth Sullivan