[Tweeters] Shorebirds & others, around greater Puget Sound

mattxyz at earthlink.net mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 15 16:13:59 PDT 2010

OK, a rather useless subject line - apologies for a post that covers
bits & pieces all over the place. The short itinerary: Saturday:
Thurston, Pierce, Mason. Sunday: King, Snohomish, Skagit]

Saturday [8/14], I started out heading out to the Yelm area in
Thurston County - Out Bald Mountain Rd. near the very end, I enjoyed
good looks at a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL - also in the area were
MacGillivray's Warblers, Chpping Sparrows, Hutton's vireo, Vaux's
Swifts overhead, several Turkey Vultures, and heard, but not seen,
Evening Grosbeaks & House Wren.

Mason Co., Kennedy Ck estuary , had LEAST & WESTERN SANDPIPERS,
LESSER YELLOWLEGS, & a SPOTTED SANDPIPER.

At Mud Bay, back in Thurston Co., I had GREATER & LESSER YELLOWLEGS,
LEAST & SPOTTED SANDPIPERS.

Last stop of the short day was the 'SportCo pond' in Fife, right off
I-5 in Pierce Co. Still lots of shorebird habitat there -- Best birds
were a couple BAIRD'S SANPIPERS, but in addition I had GREATER &
LESSER YELLOWLEGS & LEAST SANDPIPERS.

Sunday [8/15]
I started at Twin Ponds Park in Shoreline @ 6:00am, where the
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH came right in -- see Bill's post for directions
[and thanks Marc Breuninger for finding & reporting it].

The Edmonds Marsh, in Snohomish, had a few WESTERNS mixed in with
mostly a flock of LEASTS. One GREATER YELLOWLEGS made a brief
appearance too.

In Skagit Co., the Skagit Game Range was full of LESSER & GREATER
YELLOWLEGS [10+ each, I think], as well as 2 SOLITARY SANDPIPERS, &
one dowitcher [not seen well enough to id].

At the Jenson Access, about 5 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS were working the
muddy track out in the field east of the parking lot. With them were
several LEAST SANDPIPERS & KILLDEER. A SPOTTED SANDPIPER was also
present, up over the dike.

Last stop I made was up in Lyman at the riverside area south of town
-- nice looking habitat, but I didn't turn up a single shorebird.

Good shorebirding,

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA