[Tweeters] Sunrise, Mt. Rainier National Park

Marcus Roening Marcus.D.Roening at gsk.com
Sun Aug 15 20:34:34 PDT 2010

Hi Tweets,

Sunday, Heather & I hiked up to Second Burroughs out of Sunrise - a glorious place to be on a hot day in the city. The birding highlight was a couple of GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCHES at the west end of Second Burroughs. They seem to like the talus slope facing White River Campground with the large boulders. Our best strategy to see them there is to have a nice long leisurely lunch looking at the mountain and keep our ears open for their call notes. For those who want to be more proactive in locating them, I've had good luck in the snow fields most of the way up to the top of Third Burroughs.

Trail conditions: From the Frozen Lake side there are four snowfields, the first one being the steepest. On a nice warm day, it is passable. The alternate way via the old campground and pass the lake is snow free. There is no snow to get up to Second Burroughs.

Favorite bird of the day were JUVENILE HORNED LARKS, in their spotted plumage. If you didn't have a book with you the first time around, you could spend a long time figuring out what they are.

Other sightings: Common Raven, RT Hawk, Mountain Chickadee, RB Nuthatch, DE Junco, YR Warbler.

There is still a good wildflower display around the lake near the old campground.

Good Birding,

Marcus Roening
GSK Oncology - Hematology
Tacoma WA