[Tweeters] Grays Harbor weekend

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 23:02:07 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Jon Isacoff and I made the trek from Spokane to Ocean Shores on this past Friday. We quickly made our way to the Game Range to search for the Hudsonian Godwit. We joined several birders out there, but alas did not find the bird. There was one larger shorebird down one of the canals that provided some excitement, but a Peregrine Falcon fly-by quickly made this bird disappear. After that, we easily spotted the female King Eider at the base of Damon Point.

Saturday, we joined Westport Seabirds on the pelagic boat trip out of Westport. This was my first pelagic and scored 8 life birds plus one more Washington State life bird. A big thanks to all three spotters on the boat especially Bruce Labar who did a great job spotting on the bow.

After the boat, we headed south to Tokeland where we found the Marbled Godwits out on the rock jetty. Several Whimbrel and a few Willets were mixed in as well. Also, two Ruddy Turnstones were on the rocks.

Sunday, we covered the Ocean Shores Game Range again and ran into more birders. Shorebirds seen on the range included:

American Golden-Plover (adult)
Killdeer
Semipalmated Plover
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Wandering Tattler (fly over)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (20 or more!)
Least Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
STILT SANDPIPER
Pectoral Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher
Red-necked Phalarope

On the way back home, we made stops at Nisqually NWR, Snoqualmie Pass, County Line ponds (Hwy 26), Para Ponds, Potholes Reservoir, and Lind Coulee. Nothing earth-shattering at these places, but we both added some shorebirds to our respective county lists. Black-crowned Night Herons were seen both at Para Ponds and Lind Coulee with multiple Great Egrets.

Good birding!

Tim O'Brien
Cheney, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo dot com