[Tweeters] Shorebirds at Jetty Island

Paul Webster paul.webster at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 16:34:11 PDT 2010

Hi Tweets,

Barbara and I joined Penny Koyama and Steve Dang today for a trip to Jetty
Island in glorious, sunny weather. At the north lagoon at high tide we found
large numbers of shorebirds, principally *Western* and *Least Sandpipers*,
but also 18 *Baird's* foraging in a spread-out group mostly on the upper
part of the sandbar, while most of the other peeps foraged in the mud at or
near the water's edge. We also saw 2 *Black-bellied Plovers*, several
*Semi-palmated
Plovers*, *Killdeer*, 3 *Black Turnstones*, a single *Ruddy Turnstone,* and
a lone *Marbled Godwit* that disappeared after a short time. Adding in
a *Spotted
Sandpiper* that flew past the ferry dock we had a 10 shorebird day. There
was also a single *Bonaparte's Gull* amongst numerous *Caspian Terns* and
lots of other gulls including *Glaucous-winged*, *Ring-billed*, and *
California*.

Good birding!

Paul Webster
Seattle