[Tweeters] Shorebirds at Fife

Carol & Lynn Schulz carol.schulz50 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 08:06:18 PDT 2010

Hi Tweets:
Fife: I was at the Sportco water-retention ponds yesterday afternoon, Aug 19, starting about 4:30pm. I birded there for the first time and was very impressed. Lighting was great, slanting in from the back left.
I mainly looked into the right pond as you look north to I-5.
Right pond viewed from about 30 ft. back from the edge of the pond: 2 Baird's Sandpipers, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, less than 10 Least Sandpipers, 2 Western Sandpipers, several Killdeer.
Left pond, short viewing from sidewalk: 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Baird's Sandpiper, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs.
To reach Sportco, take I-5 exit 137 in Fife (the Poodle Dog restaurant exit). If you are traveling from the north, take exit 137, and turn left. Turn right onto the frontage road (20th St) and drive 1/2 mile toward Tacoma. Sportco on the left. Park in their parking lot, and walk (carefully) across 20th to the sidewalk on other side to see ponds.
Thanks for the heads-up about these ponds, Ryan and Bruce!
Yours, Carol Schulz
Des Moines
carol.schulz50 at gmail.com