[Tweeters] Potholes Shorebirds 8-20

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Fri Aug 20 19:59:38 PDT 2010

Spent most of the day birding for shorebirds around Potholes Reservoir and a stop at County Line Ponds near Othello on my way home. In general, water levels are still quite high, though did manage a few nice birds. The best concentration of shorebirds were at the upper end of Lind Coulee. Good numbers of western and least and most stops. Shrebird highlights were:

Lind Coulee:

Baird's Sandpiper-14
Pectoral Sandpiper-1
Stilt Sandpiper-1
Semi-palmated Sandpiper-6

Perch Point:

Greater Yellowlegs-16
Lesser Yellowlegs-3
Solitary Sandpiper-2
Baird's Sandpiper-4
Wood Duck-immature 1 out in Potholes Res. Took me quite a while to finally arrive on this as the bird was by itself, about 250 yards offshore. Of course I was hoping for better things when I saw a mostly all dark duck swimming by itself out in the lake.....

County Line Ponds:

Baird's Sandpiper-8
Red-necked Phalarope-9
Semi-palmated Sandpiper-5