[Tweeters] Re: Fwd: the-big-year-bird-watching-comedy-movie

John Puschock g_g_allin at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 21 23:40:57 PDT 2010

>It will be very interesting to me to hear Tweeters member predictions of

>the public's responses to the movie and discuss with others their impressions

>of this activity following viewing it.

>Has anyone read the book? What do you think?

Hi all,

I read the book a long time ago and had good memories of it, but when this story first came out this past spring, another birder mentioned he thought it was not a well-written book. Around the same time, the film production company producing the movie contacted me about a particular tour I was running. I didn't have any space for them, but even if I did, they probably would've only put a videographer on the trip to film birds -- Sure would've been fun to hang with any of the stars, though. Anyway, the point of this story is that because of these two things, I went back and read the book again, and it _is_ bogged down by too many analogies, some of which are inaccurate. But if you can get past that, it's an entertaining book.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the public reaction is similar to the reaction of "A River Runs Through It", but I'm not expecting it. I'm afraid a lot of the humor will be based on stereotypical depictions of birders. Not that I can't take a joke, but if it comes from the same mindset that produces the newspaper headline "Birdwatchers Flock To See Rare Bird" anytime a rarity shows up and the media takes note, it may not be pretty. However, I'm a fan of all the comedy actors involved with the film, and I think it does have potential to rise above that. We shall see, but for what it's worth, I did hear second-hand that someone involved with the movie said that birders will be laughing at it, but for the wrong reasons.

I predict that there will be a scene involving a wacky helicopter ride to look for Himalayan Snowcocks, with Jack Black and Steve Martin grimacing, screaming, etc. A second, though less certain, prediction is that since the general public generally doesn't "get" birding, the movie will be at best a minor hit.

John Puschock
Wedgwood, Seattle
g_g_allin at hotmail.com
http://www.zbirdtours.com