[Tweeters] Re: Yesler Swamp and Montlake Fill eBird distinction

Evan Houston evanghouston at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 18:00:28 PDT 2010

Hi Michael and Tweeters,

As one of the most frequent reporters of birds of the Montlake Fill to eBird,
I'll give a go at answering your question about whether or not to include Yesler
Swamp with the Montlake Fill in eBird. At the end of this message is a link to
a nice map will all of the names I refer to.

I do often visit Yesler Swamp, including the areas called Sidles Swamp, Surber
Grove, and walking along Surber Drive during my trips to the Fill. This area is
a bit different from the rest of the Fill in that it is one of the largest
heavily treed areas you can visit on site, and in particular is close to
conifers in the adjacent neighborhood, a tree type almost completely absent from
the rest of the Fill. So you do get a different mix of species than the more
meadow-y and pond/lake habitat the rest of the Fill comprises.

I sometimes visit almost all of the locations on the map linked below during a
single visit to the Fill. I enter everything I see/hear under just one eBird
checklist - the Union Bay Natural Area (Montlake Fill) hotspot. Logistically
for me, it would be more of a pain to keep track of many separate lists while
doing a walk at the Fill. Practically speaking, many hotspots such as Marymoor
and Discovery Parks are much larger than the entire Fill and include as many or
more habitat types, so I think it would not really make a lot of sense to keep
these fairly tiny areas at the Fill separate. And from a "fun" standpoint, it's
more entertaining for me to visit all habitat types at the Fill and try to add
to my cumulative site list, rather than keeping separate lists at each of the

Here's the map:

Good birding,
Evan Houston
Seattle, WA