[Tweeters] Whidbey Island - Aug. 21st

MEYER2J at aol.com MEYER2J at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 11:57:43 PDT 2010

Hi Tweets:

Having left town immediately following a field trip, this is a late
report. In summary, Mike West and I led a trip for 6 Eastside Audubon birders to
Whidbey Island on Sat. Aug. 21st. For the day, we had 79 species and
several mammals including a River Otter near Sunlight Beach and an in-your-face
bat at Fort Casey. The first stop on the Ewing ponds was quite successful
with the Osprey near the nest, a Wilson's Snipe and Virginia Rail in the
scope. Three American Bitterns were seen posturing and slinking around in
the second pond. At Sunlight Beach we saw yellowlegs, Least and Western
Sandpiper and Semipalmated Plover. On Lincoln St. a Cooper's Hawk put on an
aerial show. We made a brief stop at Earth Sanctuary where a Yellow Warbler
came in close, all the while singing, before the Sharp-shinned Hawk showed
up. Good views were seen of a Baird's Sandpiper at Double Bluff. A flock
of graceful Red-necked Phalaropes were seen in Admiralty Bay and all 3
cormorant species were perched on the old pilings near the Keystone Ferry
dock. A Brown Creeper was found at Fort Casey. At Partridge Point, a family
of Olive-sided Flycatchers came in to call, just as they did last year. A
Willow Flycatcher and Cedar Waxwing showed up, too. In the water across
from Bos Lake, we found a single Marbled Murrelet with two Red-necked Grebes.
Only 2 Black Turnstones could be found at Oak Bay Marina. The week
before, when the tide was out, there were hundreds at our feet, along with a
single Surfbird. The final Whidbey bird was the Great Egret at Dugualla Lake.
Black-bellied Plovers at Jensen Access finalized the day's birding. All
told, it was a very successful birding day. Of note, is that the Navy Base
near the marina is no longer restricted. Access can again be made to the
sewage treatment ponds. I understand that nearby levies have been removed
and the area is now tidal. We'll check this out another time.

Joyce Meyer
_meyer2j at aol.com_ (mailto:meyer2j at aol.com)
Redmond, WA