[Tweeters] Re: Fife Ponds Update

Ryan Shaw rtshaw80 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 19:49:14 PDT 2010

I was a little perplexed yesterday as I checked the ponds at 5:30 and saw what i was sure was a Short-billed Dowitcher juv and then I went back home and read the tweeters reports and saw a Long-billed Dowitcher being reported. I went back with my camera and there was a Dowitcher in the opposite pond and was clearly a Long-billed Dowitcher adult.

So when I checked this evening it was good to see that there were two Dowitchers there, 1 Short-bill and 1 Long-billed. The birds are clearly moving in and out of the ponds, the Semi Plover was gone, there were more Leasts than what Bruce reported and I had at least 3 Greater Yellowlegs and 5 Lesser Yellowlegs, and the Short-billed took off as I was scanning the rest of the flock.

A nice little spot!

Cheers

Ryan Shaw

>>>Spent about 45 minutes this evening checking the 20th street ponds in Fife.

Birds observed:

Killdeer-18
Semipalmated Plover-1
Lesser Yellowlegs-2 (no Greater this evening)
Western Sandpiper-36
Least Sandpiper- only 3
Baird's Sandpiper-2
Pectoral Sandpiper-1