[Tweeters] Sun Lakes State Park-Tennessee Warbler

Doug Schonewald dschone8 at donobi.net
Sun Aug 29 19:58:44 PDT 2010

After a long spell of not being able to get away Barb and I spent all day
birding Grant County. While the weather was wonderful there was little to
report with the exception of a Female/1st Fall TENNESSEE WARBLER at the
picnic area of Sun Lakes State Park.

Also of interest at Sun Lakes was an adult Peregrine which perched along the
cliff and sent many of he birds scrambling.

Most areas visited were reasonably birdy with migrating sparrows and
warblers at all locations. Most numerous were the good numbers of Wilson's
Warblers. We did see our first of the year White-crowned Sparrows at
several locations.

Soap Lake held a few shorebirds but the largest concentrations by far were
the Red-necked Phalaropes. There was probably several hundred at East
Beach.

Interestingly there were few raptors present with a single red-tail, several
kestrels, and the peregrine the only raptors seen all day. I cannot remember
the last time I only saw a single red-tail in a day of birding in the
Columbia Basin.

Cheers

Doug Schonewald
Moses Lake, WA